Monday, December 16, 2013

Plug and Play Business Intelligence?

Really? Do I have to revisit this topic? Again? 2 years ago, I wrote that there is no such thing as plug and play business intelligence. Here we are and has anything changed? The answer is a resounding NO! 

Now, let me clarify this. Analytics tools have come a long way. There are several good analytics tools out there that allow you to do quite a bit of reporting and analysis yourself.

Then why am I insisting that there is no plug and play in BI? Unless you are the Data Warehouse Ninja , ETL(extract transform, load) Samurai and you have a team of 47 Ronin who, through the years of wisdom in the scrolls given to you by the smartest kid, I would venture to say that you don't have a handle on all the data that the business is looking for. And even when you do, the requirements are ever changing. Get my point? It's the data!!!

Data integration and standardization across the enterprise is going to be your biggest challenge. Unless you have that under control, you can put the next Alien ("look it also makes me a sandwich") dashboarding tool on top of it and you will still get bad data. Ever heard the saying, "all that glitters isn't gold"? Well, all that creates dashboards isn't BI either.

No comments:

Post a Comment