Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Big Data

Recently, I copy-pasted a link to an article saying that Big Data is dead. That got me thinking. Is it really dead? Serves me right for copy-pasting a link! Here are my two cents on Big Data. Most people don't have Big Data. Google has big data. Yahoo has big data. But if you are a regular business, and even if you have large amounts of data, you might not need to apply big data principles. Let me clarify. If you have large amounts of "unstructured" data and you have a need to mine them, then you might have a need for applying big data principles (Dr's notes, for example) . If most of your data is "structured", no matter the volume, you may never have to apply big data principles. If your data is mostly structured, even with large volumes, it is possible to extract information in a timely manner and you may never have to use big data principles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment